Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hootenanny Pancake


Hootenanny Pancake
from Favorites

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter

Beat together eggs, flour, milk and salt for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place 1/2 cup butter in a 9"x13" glass baking dish.  Put in hot oven just long enough to melt butter.  Remove and pour beaten egg mixture into hot butter.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  Pancake will "grow" up sides of pan.  Cut into slices and top with powdered sugar and fresh strawberries, or maple syrup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{cooks note}

Don't you love the name of this dish?  If you aren't familiar with it, it's comparable to German pancakes.  This is one of our favorite things to make for dinner when we want breakfast.  It's easy and so good.  I like to bake mine in glass pie plates...because that is how my mom does it.  For one recipe you will divide the batter up between two plates, if that is how you want to bake them.  A 9"x13" will work just fine too.  I also use half the butter it calls for in this recipe.  Adding 1/4 cup of butter to each pie plate seemed a little extreme.  If you like lot's of butter, by all means, go for it.

**Disclaimer**
I realize the photos are horrible on this post.  I tried everything in my power to get them to look better, but I'm  only able to work with Picasa right now.  I still decided to post despite the fact that they either look too bright (no flash either) or too yellow looking.  BUT the pancakes are yellow, so that was part of the problem.


On this particular night, I doubled the recipe.

Melt the butter in the oven when you are mixing the batter so it is ready to go when the batter is done.

Pour batter evenly among your plates, or add all of the batter to a 9"x13" pan.

Believe it or not, this pancake had fallen quite a bit after I had taken it out of the oven. I couldn't grab my camera fast enough.  They rise a lot in the oven and your kids will think they are the coolest thing ever.


2 comments:

Aunt Debbie said...

I think your pictures look great. I always half the butter, too.

Alayne said...

I had to laugh when I saw this. Trev's family makes Hootenanny pancakes all the time, but I'd never heard anyone else call them this!!!