Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Bars

Looking for something quick and delicious to take to a Memorial Day barbecue?  Look no further.  These Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Bars will be the first thing gone.



Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Bars
(My Kitchen Cafe) adapted from 24 Hour Menu

1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional – I left these out)

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Beat butter, sugars, egg and vanilla till fluffy and add dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chunks and walnuts. Press into a greased 9×13 inch pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until light golden brown. I have also doubled the recipe and pressed into a large sheet pan (11X17) with great results.

{cooks note}

Do not overbake these.  If anything, underbake slightly for the best results.

6 comments:

NaDell said...

How did you know my mother in law just asked me to bring a dessert on Monday?
These look so yummy and our lunch is outside, so it doesn't even matter if they are crumbly either.
Thanks, Candace!

S. Schuller said...

I just made these this afternoon and they are so good! I didn't have enough chocolate chips, so I cut up a bittersweet chocolate bar and added it with the chocolate chips and it is so good. Thanks for sharing all of these great recipes!

Aunt Debbie said...

These look amazing. I would definitely leave the nuts in.

Liese said...

I have made these twice in one week! All of my friends are big fans of these! Yum!

tharker said...

I made these tonight for the second time (since just yesterday. We are huge fans! Thanks so much for the great recipes!

Cooper Squared said...

These were so easy and so yummy. I added a little bit of coconut.