Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tortellini Spinach Salad with Balsamic-Tomato Vinaigrette


Tortellini Spinach Salad with Balsamic-Tomato Vinaigrette
slightly adapted from www.melskitchencafe.com

Salad:
20-ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 (14.5-ounce) can quartered artichokes
1 (9-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
1 (3-ounce) bag sun dried tomatoes or jar of sun dried tomatoes rinsed and drained
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced thin


Dressing:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon each)
3/4 cup olive oil


Cook Tortellini in boiling water until al dente.  Drain and toss (carefully so the tortellini doesn't break apart) with a teaspoon of olive oil to keep from sticking.  Let cool in colander. In a large bowl, toss all the salad ingredients together after pasta has cooled.


In a blender, add all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil and process until smooth.  Then, while the blender is running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until completely combined.  If serving the salad right away, immediately pour the dressing over the salad and toss well (you may not need all the dressing).  Serve.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{cooks note}
I added grilled chicken for my husband since he likes meat with his meals most of the time.    I knew my boys wouldn't be too thrilled about the tomato-balsamic vinaigrette flavor, so I served them grilled chicken slices with the tortellini on the side.  This salad is so refreshing and tasty.

3 comments:

Aunt Debbie said...

Is there a certain brand of canned artichokes that you like? I haven't found one that I'm fond of.

Candace said...

I can't remember the brand I use, but it's usually the big jar at Costco. I'll look the next time I am there. It lasts for a long time in the refrigerator and it's a lot cheaper to buy in bulk.

Aunt Debbie said...

I have the jar from Costco. When it said canned in the recipe, I thought you meant literally "canned". Thanks! Keep up the delicious work--I check your blog daily!