Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gooey Microwave Caramel Popcorn


Gooey Microwave Caramel Popcorn
from Favorites

2 bags microwave popcorn (the more buttery, the better)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter

In medium saucepan, mix together condensed milk, corn syrup, brown sugar, vanilla and butter.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches "soft ball" stage.  (This usually takes between 8 to 10 minutes.)

Meanwhile, pop microwave popcorn and pour into large bowl.  Sift out unpopped kernals.  Pour hot caramel over popcorn and stir until well-coated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{cooks note}

I usually don't buy the buttery microwave popcorn.  The popcorn turns out great without it.  However, if you do want to use it, it definitely adds a more buttery flavor.  I sometimes sprinkle a little salt over the popped popcorn before adding the caramel...just because.


The ingredients.
Just before I poured the caramel over the popcorn.
Make sure you have a large bowl to stir the caramel and popcorn in together.
This is the kind of treat that you can't stop eating.  Trust me.  And it's still good the second day if stored in an air tight container.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

how are you so skinny? Seriously just looking at your recipes makes me gain weight.

Alayne said...

As you know, this is one of my favorite recipes to make to "give to people", but usually end up eating it all myself :-)

Aileen Taylor said...

I'm always looking for a great caramel popcorn recipe - but quick question - is this caramel popcorn gooey or crunchy? I've noticed the crunchy caramel popcorn (like you'd get at Oprah's coveted Garretts Popcorn joint) requires baking for an hour and I never have time for that, so I end up with sticky/soft caramel popcorn. What is the consistency of this recipe?

Candace said...

It's supposed to be soft caramel popcorn. Sounds like you like the crunchy stuff. How is being a mama?