Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Coconut Vanilla Granola


I am always looking for recipes to use or incorporate coconut oil in, so when I came across this one I made it right away.  The great thing about granola is you can add and take away what you don't like.  I added sunflower seeds and used the roasted chopped almonds from Winco instead of the sliced.   I am not a dried fruit in my granola kind of girl, but if that suits your fancy, go for it.  This granola is by far my favorite one out there.  Your house will smell amazing and that touch of nutmeg makes it feel instantly like Fall.  

Coconut Vanilla Granola
adapted slightly from Table for Two

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 T. vanilla extract
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside. 

In a large bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, shredded coconut, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste.  Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and stir until well combined.  Spread evenly on the lined baking sheets and bake for 30-45 minutes or until lightly golden.  Stir every 10 minutes to make sure you get even baking and to avoid burning.  Cool completely and store in air tight containers.

**I baked mine for 35 minutes.

{cooks note}
I purchase my coconut oil from Costco because it is much cheaper than buying it anywhere else.  I also bought 100% pure maple syrup from Costco.  If you do not have vanilla bean paste, you do not want to skip it.  Purchase some here.  You will not be disappointed.  I go through this stuff way too fast.  I usually only use it in recipes where you will actually see the speckles of bean.  

I am obviously no good at taking pictures, but I included this one because it gives you a closer look at what the granola looks like.  



No comments: